| Isha and her little sister all smiles! |
Yesterday I was surprised with running water in my house. It had just hit me that it had been over 2 months without any running water. I had been so used to “fetching” my water as they say here; it had become an added routine. Luckily there is a poly-tank in the compound so it wasn’t a huge inconvenience. Running water meant showers, instead of bucket baths and not having to constantly fill up the washroom tank. It meant I could actually do my dishes in my house rather than sitting outside in the compound. But really it wasn’t all that bad; in fact it so quickly became my routine, even took a stab at carrying the water on my head- clearly to make my co-worker laugh!
It got me thinking from the day I arrived ( well after adapting to the city and extreme heat) I have felt an instant relief, I didn’t have to wake up worrying about phone bills, rent, my next school assignment or a work meeting I wasn’t all that interested in attending. I didn’t have to dread the hour long subway commute to work, or the fast paste of life in Toronto. I didn’t wake up thinking of all the things I needed to get done before the day ended trying to fit as many things in one day as possible. I no longer fall asleep to the thoughts of things I forgot to do, or how quickly the day went. I wake up here with a sense of balance- it’s easier to enjoy the simple things in life like a cooler morning or my neighbor greeting me. It’s easier to pass someone and ask how their night was or wish them a good day and REALLY mean it. It’s refreshing to see people here truly enjoy their lives even with all the challenges so easily seen around them.
![]() |
| One of the women we work with . I love this photo- she smiles from her heart |
Yesterday I sat across a woman who had recently become a widow, her household had over 20 children (as it was from a polygamist relationship) I sat there with her helping her with a presentation and for that whole hour she sat there smiling praising god for all her blessings, even with all her challenges with school fees, the children she needed to care for now and so on. The woman told the intern who helps translate for me that she saw a difference in me, that I must be truly enjoying the Ghanaian life and that I should stay and make Ghana my home because it fit me! It wasn’t far from the truth, it’s an incredible feeling to be able to go through the day with a clear mind, and it’s incredible to be humbled by women around me who clearly have so many challenges in life yet are happy and thankful for good surroundings and the health of their family.
| One tea box, four ideal milk cans and one string make up a toy car! |
I’ve gotten used to the slow nature of life here, things never happening on time or sometime not at all. Plans change by the minute, I’ve gotten used to everyone wanting to sit down and have a talk even when they are total strangers, really just interested in meeting a new friend.
Even with no television, rolling power, a stolen Ipod and the two occurrences of malaria I can honestly say my time so far here in Ghana has been relaxing, fulfilling and SIMPLE! I can only hope I take some of these new habits to Canada with me!

No comments:
Post a Comment